Saturday, June 28, 2008

Don't hate, appreciate!

American culture has gotten everyone obsessed with having the perfect body, when the reality is that their is no perfect body, we're all made differently and accepting and enjoying the body you have should be the main goal. It makes me sick that everything can be air brushed and made to look like a barbie doll and then flashed in our faces every way you turn. It is unfair that children grow up now seeing digitalized "perfect" bodies coming from every angle and that is what they assume they should look like also, and when they grow up and don't look like a super model they feel terrible about themselves and end up hating their bodies and taking them for granted. I find myself getting down about my body and thinking of things I would like to change, but then I think how can I be so ungrateful when some people don't have legs to walk with and run and swim with, and some people don't have arms, and of course the list goes on. I don't want to take my body for granted because who knows what could happen to me some day and I want to appreciate and love my body for all it does for me. Physical fitness is definitely important and in our fast paced lives it's hard to find the time, which is something I tend to struggle with and hope to improve on.

Like the lecture implied, it seems that women are mostly the ones unsatisfied with their bodies, and I definitely think that is because in general there is more pressure from the media and from men to look a certain way. I know that for me it is uncomfortable to be sitting down casually watching television with some guys friends or family when a victoria secret commercial or something of the sort comes on and their are all these super models half naked running around in your face or someone talking about your period. There is a time and a place for everything and it seems that the media has ignored that and I as a woman see it as an insult. Where do we as feminists go from here when it seems so impossible to make a change unless your in the media/Hollywood business?

No comments: