Saturday, June 14, 2008

To be or Not to be?...that tis the Question

In the society we live in today it is no surprise to go almost anywhere and see signs of inequality. It truly is not fair how life's cards are dealt, but it is what we make of our own hand of circumstances that can make a positive difference and to me that seems to be what feminism strives for. To simply be ourselves without anyone else causing implications in our lives and to see how far you can go. I can appreciate the struggle and fight that so many people have devoted their lives to so women can be seen as people and not baby machines that can clean, ha. So with that thought and gratitude in mind I can now say that yes, I am a feminist. It is strange that the word feminism has so many negative connotations when it has done so much good for our country and the world! It is mind boggling to me to think of a world where women weren't allowed to go to school, vote, work, etc. . In our time and age I feel privileged to be a woman so to try and imagine first not being allowed to work, and then being under paid, and then openly being insulted and criticized seems like an endless cycle of doom, but if we have come this far I believe anything can be accomplished when you put your mind to it.

It certainly is inspiring to be a woman in this day and age and I feel we can only move up from here! Our role models in the field have given women a reputation of strength, excellence and a force to be reckoned with. My goal for this class is to figure out how I can make a positive impact in a caring way. Our society can be brutal and it is difficult not to get sucked into the fast paced, money oriented, judgmental world; but we must learn to step back and remember everyone is a person with feelings and being considerate of others is the only way to find peace in the madness, because hopefully others will give that respect back... indeed the purpose of feminism.




1 comment:

Alysia said...

Your goal for this class is terrific. The very last module will address activism, and how we can envision it in different ways beyond protesting and writing pamphlets. I think it will mesh with your goal very well!