Sunday, July 13, 2008

Not so sure

Welfare is an undecided issue for me. My thought is that it is a good idea that has greatly been taken advantage of, which really bothers me to think of some of the things my tax dollars are being wasted on. If it could be more closely monitored I think it would make me feel better about the program. Possibly the families, mothers, whomever could make a list of their monthly needs and someone could be sent out with them to buy the stuff, or the person could buy it and then bring it to their house; and when it comes to bills the checks should be written out monthly to cover the specific amount needed. Basically, I feel that a good deal of the people on welfare see it as free money and that doesn't motivate them to get out and look for a job when they know a check is coming their way. Also, people in poverty look for outlets to get away or numb themselves from life and end up turning to drugs, using the welfare money for it, instead of spending it on their children. I think that welfare should have some dramatic changes or a new program altogether should be created. Instead of sending out free money serious intervention needs to take place in many of these people's lives before you can trust them to spend money wisely. I feel that someone should be assigned to the people that are on welfare to talk with them, get to know their family and what aspects of intervention could motivate the mothers and open new doors of opportunities to move them forward and get them off of welfare as soon as possible, should be the ultimate goal. So many become content with living off of welfare and that is simply not acceptable. It should be there to lift you up, get you on your feet, and to make sure the kids are getting what is necessary for them to have what they need, and "needs" should be known and prioritized and not just assumed by those sending out the checks. These are my views anyway, any other outlooks on welfare?

No comments: